Regardless of our sport, focus, and personal goals in life, one thing remains the same: the motivational value of a reasonable quote.
If you’re looking for that line or two to get you through tough training sessions and the pressure of tennis competitions, you’re in the right place! You’ll find the best tennis quotes below!
Table of Contents
The Top Tennis Quotes for 2021
Inspirational Tennis Quotes for Beginners
- To err is human. To blame someone else is doubles.
- Life is like a game of tennis; the player who serves well seldom loses.
- You only get to live once, but you get to serve twice.
- No one is born the greatest.
- What a polite game tennis is. The chief word in it seems to be ‘sorry’, and admiration of each other’s play crosses the net as frequently as the ball.
- Tennis is just like everything else. Work on it, and you’ll improve.
- Knowing nothing is the best start anyone can have in any path.
- Tennis does not build character. It reveals it and then improves it.
- Self-belief should not depend on your skill level, but how far you know, you’re willing to go.
- The more you practice, the more weaknesses you’ll find. The more you correct early, the better you’ll be.
Quotes from Famous Tennis Players
- If you don’t practice, you don’t deserve to win. – Andre Agassi
- When you do something with your best in life, you don’t want to give that up – and for me, that’s tennis. – Roger Federer
- I can’t become satisfied because if I get satisfied, I’ll be like, “Oh, I’ve won Wimbledon, I’ve won the U.S. Open. Now can I relax.” But now people are going to be fighting to beat me. – Serena Williams
- I’m a perfectionist. I’m pretty much insatiable. I feel there are so many things I can improve on. – Serena Williams
- Tennis is a perfect combination of violent action taking place in an atmosphere of total tranquillity. – Billie Jean King
- I am here to play women’s tennis. I’m a lady. Predominantly, most of the time, I always like to play ladies. – Serena Williams
- I want to reach absolute perfection. And I think I can reach it. – Steffi Graf
- It’s one-on-one out there, man. There isn’t any hiding. I can’t pass the ball. – Pete Sampras
- You can fray your opponent’s nerves By methodically bouncing the ball At least ten times before your serves. Arnold J. Zarett
- Losing is not my enemy. Fear of losing is my enemy. – Rafael Nadal
Tennis Quotes on Mentality
- You are as capable as you think you are.
- Success is a journey, not a destination.
- A loss is a setback, not a vision of your future.
- Tennis belongs to the individualistic past – a hero, or at most a pair of friends or lovers, against the world.
- Everybody loves success, but they hate successful people. – John McEnroe
- The tennis match between your will and doubt determines the outcome of your physical match.
- The great part about tennis is you can’t run out the clock…. As long as we were still playing, I had a chance. -Andre Agassi.
- What makes something special is not just what you have to gain, but what you feel there is to lose. – Andre Agassi
- I think luck falls on not just the brave but also the ones who believe they belong there.” – Novak Djokovic
- I told myself to play free. You play the ball. You don’t play the opponent. Be free in your head. Be free in your shots. Go for it. The brave will be rewarded here. – Roger Federer
- Tennis is mostly mental. Of course, you must have a lot of physical skill, but you can’t play tennis well and not be a good thinker. You win or lose the match before you even go out there. – Venus Williams
Tennis Quotes On Winning And Losing
- Never let a win get to your head and a loss to your heart.
- In tennis, losing means there is still an opportunity to improve.
- One tennis game cannot justify your whole tennis career.
- I have always considered tennis a combat in an arena between two gladiators who have their racquets and their courage as their weapons.
- Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy. – Rafael Nadal
- You lose the moment you let a win get to your head.
- If you can react the same way to winning and losing, that’s a big accomplishment.
- The next point — that’s all you must think about. -Rod Laver
- Tennis: a racquet sport in which two players compete to see who has the shortest temper, the worst memory, the poorest eyesight, and the slowest watch.
- Losing gracefully is a win in itself.
Funny and Witty Tennis Quotes
Here are our funny tennis quotes:
- We’re not waiters, but, boy, can we serve!
- In doubles, it’s all about having fun. Until we start getting our butts kicked.
- When life gets complicated, play tennis! It’s sure to out-complicate your life.
- The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I’ll never be as good as the wall. – Mitch Hedberg
- The serve was invented so the net could play.
- There’s more to life than tennis… but not that much.
- Money can’t buy you happiness, but it can buy you rackets, and rackets are happiness.
- The last set isn’t about tennis, it’s about nerves.
- If it doesn’t improve your tennis, is it really important?
- I could live without tennis, but I don’t want to!
What are the Advantages of Reading These Quotes?
Quotes work the same way our coaches’ words do. Words have a psychological effect on people, giving us the extra push we need during bad times. (1)
If you’re struggling to get out of bed, finding the energy to train to become a tennis champion, or you’re hanging on for another set when playing tennis, remember these quotes if you’re in the tennis life.
Stay on the tennis court, keep winning matches, and become the best tennis player you can to be at the same level as Billie Jean King and other great sportsmen.
Our Favorite Tennis Quotes
A player’s single most important quality is self-confidence. If you have it, you’re bound to play a beautiful game.
Here are our go-to tennis sayings:
- Tennis uses the language of life. Advantage, service, fault, break, love – the basic elements of tennis are those of everyday existence because every match is a life in miniature.
- When you do something with your best in life, you don’t really want to give that up – and for me, that’s tennis. – Roger Federer
- Tennis is not a gentle game. Psychologically, it is vicious. That people are only just beginning to come to terms with this fact illustrates just how big a con trick has been perpetrated on the non-playing tennis public – and even a few players, usually losing players – for decades.”